Trials & Tribulations of Running a Small Business

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Breakfast Breads a la Carolyn!

I recently pulled out the recipes from the breakfast breads class. I decided to make the Pecan Sticky Buns although I did not have any pecans so I made some as directed without nuts. But the recipe made so much dough that I was inspired to use it up in different ways after taking the laminated doughs class and learning that the same dough can create many different things.

I did have some sliced almonds. I made the honey/brown sugar/butter filling and put it into the bottom of a greased tube pan. I sprinkled some sliced almonds over the filling and then put the cut rolls tightly in the pan. I let them rise and then baked them. After I removed them from the oven and let them cool slightly I inverted the pan and had created a lovely almond caramel coffee cake ring. But I still had more dough! So I looked in my cupboard and did not have any more muffin tins but I did have a popover pan. So I put the cut cinnamon rolls in the pan and baked. When they came out they had tall bottoms and when "frosted" actually looked like cupcakes. I made a cinnamon frosting by mixing 1 C of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of cream and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

Blackmarket hands on classes are wonderful. You really learn how to tell when something is ready and what to do when things don't look quite right. I enclosed photos of the ring as it was rising, the finished coffee cake and the cinnamon buns baked in the popover pan before and after icing them with the cinnamon frosting.

Thanks for the lessons!
Carolyn

No comments: